Friday, August 5, 2022

Art is Magick

 

Josephine and Angel 1969

Magick is art

Like Art, Magick has always intrigued me. When we were young, my cousin and I would dress up and pretend to be witches. We “recited” spells from leather bound tomes, and imagined miracles.

Angel and Josephine 1964

When we grew apart, I continued on my own, using a little pocket book called “Everyday Witchcraft”, where I learned little spells and rituals. I studied astrology and tarot cards, psychics and ghosts. My goal was to control my circumstances and master myself. I sought to become an ultimate creator of worlds.

I read every book I could get my hands on. Robert Hand, Jane Roberts, Madam Blavatsky, Kristamurti, Yogananda, Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, Rudolph Steiner, Alistair Crowley, Annie Besant, and Carlos Castenada to name a few. I apprenticed with an astrologer, took psychic lessons, yoga lessons, meditation, psychedelics and tried every kind of alternative therapy.

All of this complimented my art practice. Art is my conjuring. The human mind is miraculous and is nourished by ritual, myth, symbols and other abstract languages. We seek to understand the mysteries in order to have agency in the world. Art is an avenue of communication that surpasses all language and cultural barriers. Art connects us with the Akashic records, the Collective Unconscious, and expresses the interconnectedness of all life.

The function of Magick is to gain control, the technique is ritual, and the mechanism is Art. Great artists create alternate realities; reality now includes the visions of De Chirico, Dorothea Tanning and Salvador Dali. Primitive artists conjured animal spirits on cave walls, religions depicted miracles, New Agers utilize Magical Thinking and modern artists work with abstract concepts.

Art is proof of Magick

No comments:

My Rock

 Adam Sun was my rock. He was a daily, joyous, presence. I miss his phone calls and his excited and cheerful personality.  My son is dancing...